Saturday, September 10, 2011

Natan=more publicity for me!

I didn’t have any classes today, so I got to wake up at 11 AM! I pretty much just sat around the room until Ashlee got back from her illumination class. At that point, it was about 3 PM. After a quick late lunch, we along with Peter, Natan, and Xander went off towards the Galata Tower to do our neighborhood project. The neighborhood project as explained in previous posts is an attempt for us to get to know Turkey not only through our own eyes, but also through the eyes of the Turkish people. Getting to our neighborhood of Begolu took a while since Natan stopped to take pictures... a lot. I didn't mind though. The more pictures he takes of me, the better the chance I'll appear on school affiliated media. Plus, he takes great pictures with that big camera of his.

After dropping Natan off at the Galata Tower, Xander, Ashlee, Peter, and I proceeded with the mapping of Begolu. We started walking on a random street from the tower until we reached the music district. This little area contained lots and lots of music stores that contained both western and Turkish instruments. We ventured further and reached what we deemed the "edge" of the neighborhood, the main street that led to Taksim. On the corner of this edge was a music CD shop. Stepping in, we found ourselves immersed in music of all kinds-- Turkish, jazz, classical; you name it, they had it. I stumbled upon the Rachmaninoff collection of the store. I remember especially enjoying one of his piano concertos, but I didn't know which one to look for. This left me very disappointed. Luckily, I had a recording of it on my computer. If any of you were wondering, it was his Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18. Specifically, it was the 2nd movement I was after. I might go back there to get it later.

We walked down another street down into the music district and found an old man in his store, shredding on the electric saz (the Turkish guitar). It sounded just like an electric guitar. We stopped to listen to his amazing skills before going into the store. I've been wanting a saz ever since the music lesson a few of us had at the beginning of the week. After asking for the prices of different sazes, the man handed me one worth 100 Turkish Lira. It was of pretty good quality. He even played a few licks on it, and thoroughly convinced me that I had to buy it. Before buying though, he brought out an old photo album and showed us some of his pictures when he was younger. Apparently, he was a professional musician and played for various music stars and TV shows back in the day. With the understanding that we were in the presence of a semi-celebrity, we took a picture with him and asked him for a little private concert.

This whole experience is something that I will miss when I go back to the U.S. Rarely will anyone encounter such hospitality as I've experienced in my time in Turkey. The Turkish people are some of the nicest people I've met. From taxi drivers to store owners like the guitarist we met today, I feel like the Turkish people are genuinely interested in other people's interests. On the streets, you'll see strangers help direct cars in and out of tight parking spaces. Taxi drivers will slow down to give each other news on the traffic in the area. Turkey as a whole has taught me so much about true community, something that is sorely lacking back home in the States.

We attempted to ask for directions on how to get to the Galata House Restaurant, but he didn't know what or where that was. After thanking the man for his time and hospitality, we embarked down another street and stopped at a little shop. This shop was super cool. It had journals disguised as VCR tapes, robot salt and pepper shakers, little wallets with the coolest designs, and more that I can't even describe! Peter particularly liked on of their shirts and eventually bought it after many minutes of excruciating contemplation. We asked the store owner for directions to the Galata House Restaurant, but he didn't know of it either. This man, much younger than the guitarist we met earlier, had a laptop nearby and searched it up on Google. Oh, the wonders of the Internet! He pulled up a map on Google and detailed the route necessary to reach the restaurant. We thanked him for his time and proceeded towards the meeting point at the tower.

Upon reaching the Galata Tower, we finally saw the Kams and Steven! After talking for a few minutes, we went to the restaurant. The food was superb, as it almost always is in Turkey. I had pulmeni which is potato-stuffed ravioli. Excellent stuff. Some of us left after dinner towards a gelato place that Ashlee heard about. We each enjoyed a cone of yummy gelato on our way back to the apartments. On the way, Natan took more pictures of us at various locations such as the New Mosque and the bridge across the Bosphorus.

I immediately whipped out my newly bought saz when I arrived at the apartments and proceeded to play it... for 45 minutes. I managed to learn a good amount of basic chords and a scale or two. I'm totally hooked on the saz. It's awesome.

Now, I wait to see Ashlee and Jon off. They're leaving Turkey early for RA training. They leave the apartments at 3 AM. We only have 30 minutes left to spend with them!!! I wish them safe travels and will miss them these last few days.

Reminiscing on the last month I've spent in Turkey has been depressing. I'm certainly going to miss this wonderful country. The apartment has become a home away from home. The friends I've made have given me emotional ties to this country. The routes I've memorized of the city will always be a part of me. I can say that this whole experience has permanently altered who I am. I've become more open and accepting of Islam, Turkey, and its wonderful inhabitants. I hope to carry the things I've learned and portray these Turkish values of friendship and hospitality to my fellow Americans for the foreseeable future. I'm glad to go home... I'm just sad that I'm leaving another behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment