Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Day Before September in Istanbul


Today was a very relaxing day. First of all, I started the day off eating Top Ramen at midnight with Chelsey and Ashlee. Although it was just instant noodles, this was the first time I had Asian food in 2 weeks so it was delightful! (it would've been better if I had access to my chopsticks but we can't win them all I guess. haha)
For lunch, we went to the local store to get some groceries and made turkey sandwiches (eating turkey in Turkey, get it??). Unfortunately, some of the bread was molding so I just wrapped the turkey meat around some vegetables and cheese...yum! Later on in the afternoon, we went to the Islamic Art Museum. The museum was originally the mansion of a pasa, which is a Turkish military general. The building was an incredible sight to see. The structure itself was well worth the entrance fee of 10 Turkish Lira. There were many beautiful Islamic Artwork and carpets from around the 17th through 20th century. A few days ago when we all visited the carpet shop, Sali the shop owner showed us a carpet that was about 5 feet long. He told us on average, a carpet of that size can easily take 7 years to complete. If a 5 foot carpet takes 7 years to make, I cannot even fathom how much time a carpet this large would take!


This mural especially struck me. It was by far my favorite art work in the museum. Something about the blue color just captured my attention. I was staring at it for so long, the security guard came up to me and told me with a smile, "Sorry, not for sale."



After dinner, we went to MADO, our favorite dessert restaurant, to celebrate Dr. Paul Mallery's birthday! Overall another excellent day to add to my stay in Turkey.
-Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment