Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Take on Things

I am not particularly fond of sharing my thoughts. I prefer to take it all in and give my take later after it has had time to develop. But share I must and share I will, so here's a glimpse of my experience in Turkey thus far.

Istanbul is truly spectacular, though some of my reasons as to why may differ slightly from those presented by my friends. Do not misunderstand me, I have enjoyed almost everything about this city so far. The city is truly alive, from the maze that is the Grand Bazaar to the festive Sultanahmet Square to the bustling commercial areas near Taksim. The shopping has been fun as well, though I have yet to really buy anything and do not care much for haggling over prices. Then there is the food. Oh goodness, the food. There is little that gives as much satisfaction as finishing a day at a nice restaurant with good food and fine company. I have particularly grown fond of most anything with chicken, which, despite the disagreement of some friends, I find especially scrumptious.

One of my favorite aspects of the trip so far has been getting to understand the culture and the people who define it. Marbling today was amazing. As an art form, it is elegent yet accesible: anyone can make beautiful things through it. Equally as enjoyable was the opportunity to get to know the family. They are welcoming, kind, and generous. I will fondly remember standing on the terrace of the house, the sea in front of me and the ancient city behind me, discussing the past, present, and future of the city in English and Spanish with the family. Even simply observing people in the city is interesting. There are individuals of all backgrounds and walks of life here, each with a different take on the world. Occasionally, while walking through the busy streets of the city, I will make eye contact with someone for a fleeting moment, just long enough to detect a shared curiousity and understanding that hints at perspectives so vastly different, yet simultaneously similar in so many ways.

However, what truly defines this city for me is not what I can see, but what I can not. This city is a historical gem, and for someone who loves history as much as I do, visiting is a dream come true. Everything here seems to have a story to impart. The walls recall sieges and blockades while the streets remember the sweat of merchants and blood of soldiers. The Hagia Sophia tells of days long gone, of coronations of kings, of vigils held late into the night, of frightened masses awaiting death and glory. This is a city that has been around for thousands of years, and the people who inhabit the city today are but part of a long and rich historical tradition that has contributed significantly to the story of humankind and will continue to do so into the future. I plan to make the most of my time here.

On another note, I have discovered (or rather, it was revealed to me by Hew), that I lacked a childhood due to my unfamiliarity with Pokemon. It had never bothered me before; it is not bothering me now. It is a shame about my childhood, though. Maybe someday I'll make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment