Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Food by Ruthie Heavrin



Do not, I repeat, do not eat Mexican food in Istanbul. I don't care how much you might miss Southern California and it's delicious variety of Hispanic foods. It's just not worth it. Do you see this guacamole? Yes, that brown gunk is guacamole. My stomach hurts. Just stick to the awesome Turkish cuisine such as savory crepes, spicy potato dumplings, shephard salad, lentil soup, and eggplant kebab. There are enough dishes for vegans so there is no excuse to shame the food of our southern neighbor by eating at an "El Torito" in the heart of Istanbul. Biggest mistake of my life? Probably not, but certainly not the best.



Post sundown Ramadan meal is also a killer choice. Rice, flat bread, soup, beans, kebab, and baklava make for a festive time with our Muslim brothers and sisters once the evening prayer call is made. Burritos are not going anywhere so I guess I can wait.

1 comment:

  1. Not only Ick, but that is a really big bowl of ick.

    ReplyDelete