Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sema

This evening we went to a Sufi Sema (whirling dervishes) with some of our Sufi friends here. This was somewhat unique in my experience because all of the other times I have been to mosques or to semas, prayers have generally been in Arabic. This time the Quranic recitations were in Arabic, but the rest of the prayers were in Turkish, so I could understand more. I tried to translate some of it for the students around me without causing a disruption, but was limited in what I could convey to them during a prayer. The community prayed for those recently departed, Muslim saints and holy individuals, peace in the world and at home, help to those who need it, peace and blessing on their nation, and blessings on everyone who came to the sema. I was touched by their inclusion of the visitors to the gathering in their prayers. We arrived home from the sema close to midnight, so I have time only for a quick update before retiring. Several of the students will fill all of you in more on what we saw and did, but I think all found it interesting and had lots of questions.

Tomorrow (Friday) night is Laylat al-Qadr, sometimes translated as the Night of Power or the Night of Blessing in Islam. Laylat al-Qadr is a commemoration of the giving of the Quran and is a night that many Muslims in Turkey spend in the mosques praying for forgiveness. It is also a night during which God is said to extend extra blessings to those who pray.

Greetings to all of you and goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment