Friday, August 19, 2011

tumblr reblog: first/second day

8/17/11
From my blog at http://greenglass2718.tumblr.com/post/9077703465/travel-blog-reflection-2

I don't plan to update every day, but I'll report on it so far. We travelled for nearly 24 hours, and have all moved into our apartment building in Istanbul. It's rented out to us for a whole month. We'll be staying here until Sept. 14 on the honors program trip. Justin, Peter and I are rooming together. After getting in yesterday in the late morning, the whole group went out to lunch, and then we split up and looked around the city. Our first assignment was to find stores and buy ingredients for breakfast the next morning. Carlos and I were assigned to buy eggs, another group bought bread and jam, and yogurt, tomatoes, and cucumbers were also bought. We kept the bread and in my room too, and I boiled the eggs. Next morning everyone else came into our room and took whatever they wanted.

I'm actually fasting for Ramadan while I'm here. Kelli is also doing it with me. I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's hard, but getting easier the second day. Last night we all met at a commonly agreed location in the city for dinner. I had a Turkish Pizza with minced and seasoned lamb and no cheese, aubergine salad (oily eggplant dish), and bread. They served a bunch of really huge, puffy loaves of unleavened bread.

The men here are very forward when they hit on women. There are some funny stories to tell.

Today's my birthday! I woke up to eat breakfast, went back to bed, read a little, and went upstairs to meet with everyone on the roof. We hung out a while and I even played Liebesfreud sort of badly for everyone. The group went to lunch again and then we Justin, Peter and I looked around the Spice Bazaar. We crossed the bridge, looked around, and took the tram back, just as we'd come.


No comments:

Post a Comment